Executive Chef, Don Heidel has over 37 years of culinary experience. He is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York. Don has worked at private clubs in Texas and Louisiana, including the Shreveport Club and Rosewood Hotels and Resorts. Like the Alta Club, Don has deep roots in Utah, working as the Executive Chef at the Homestead and Zermatt Resorts, Sundance Resort, Thanksgiving Point, and Frank Granato Imports. Don joined the Alta Club as Executive Chef in 2012.
Don's travels and positions throughout the country have inspired him to become a master of Creole, Cajun, and Southwestern cuisine. He has a deep respect for what he calls “truly American cooking.” Don will tell you that what sets American cooking apart from other countries such as France and Italy, is the use of indigenous product, specifically game and produce, which lend themselves well to bold flavors and cooking techniques found throughout the country. He is a master of the barbecue, smoker, and grill. The most rewarding experience for Chef Don, and the reason why he is a Chef, is the thrill of introducing people to products and flavor combinations they've never experienced. He loves to mix cooking styles to create “in-your-face” flavor and new dishes. We are privileged to have Chef Don as part of our team, and our Membership truly benefits from all he brings to the table.
- Executive Chef, Outstanding Manager of the Year, Utah Hotel and Motel Lodging Association
- Executive Chef, Sundance Resort, Hosted Dinner at James Beard House in New York City
- Chef, Hemmings Restaurant, Best New Restaurants in America by Esquire Magazine
- Chef, Duckworth Restaurant, Top Fifty Restaurants in California by Epicurean Magazine
- Sous Chef, Rosewood Hotel Company, Five Diamond Award