Modeled after the private clubs that flourished on the east and west coasts in the late nineteenth century, our building has retained its traditional spirit while embracing the present. The club is located in the beautifully resorted and historically significant Alta Club building in the heart of downtown Salt Lake City. The building sits on historic South Temple Street, formerly known as Brigham Street. This street is home to many large mansions built by Utah’s founders of business and industry.
- Read more about Our Building
Founded in 1883, the club was originally located in the old Alta Block, midway between Main Street and West Temple on Second South. In 1892, the Club moved to occupy the two top floors of the newly built Dooley Building. The Club remained at this location until June of 1898.
Construction of a new clubhouse began in 1897 and was completed in less than a year by builder George Cushing. On June 1, 1898 the new building formally opened. The site selected for the current clubhouse was purchased for $15,000 from Harriet Hooper Young, wife of Willard Young, who was the son of LDS President Brigham Young. The Alta Club building was designed by Frederick Albert Hale in Italian Renaissance style.
In 1910 the East wing was added, almost doubling the size of the original clubhouse. For reasons unknown the original stone could not be matched; old and new stone from a different quarry were mixed in the addition. At that time a new entrance was built on South Temple Street. A stairway was added to the older State Street entrance to provide direct access to the second floor. This became known as the ladies entrance, as women were restricted to the upper floors.
In 1958 the Club acquired land located on the north side of South Temple Street for a parking lot. In 1993 the addition of a fitness center was completed with the goal of attracting new members.
In 2001 a $4 Million renovation project was completed. A major area of renovation was the third floor, which had not been used since the 1950’s due to a fire. The Alta Club’s third floor now boasts twenty elegant guest rooms.
Ongoing renovations, along with caring membership and staff, maintain what has become one of Salt Lake’s most beautiful and long-lasting buildings.